To refrain from the use of illegal mobile phones in Pakistan, PTA (Pakistan Telecommunication Authority) decided to make it compulsory for everyone residing in Pakistan that they get their mobile phones registered with PTA.
The mobile phones that are not registered with PTA will be blocked. If your mobile is not PTA approved and you do not have a clue of how you can do it, then do not worry because this article will help you learn how to register your mobile with PTA.
Checking Your Mobile Registration
To check the registration of your mobile phone you just need to send a message to 8484 (a shortcode used by PTA). Type the IMEI of your mobile phone in the message and send it to 8484. You will receive a message from 8484 whether your mobile is PTA approved or not. You can also use the PTA registration check website that is dirbs.pta.gov.pk to know the status of your mobile phone registration.
After sending the message to 8484 you can receive one of the following messages from PTA.
- The device IMEI is compliant (PTA approved). It means that the device is registered with PTA.
- The device IMEI is non-compliant but you can still use network services. You can simply resolve this issue by sending an SMS or making a phone call.
- The device IMEI is blocked. If you receive such a message then it means that your mobile is blocked by PTA and you cannot use it in Pakistan. You will have to pay the taxes to use it.
If you get a blocked IMEI message then you will have to register your mobile phone. This can be done via three methods that you will learn in this article.
Method 1: Via USSD code
Follow the steps to register your phone via *8484#.
- Dial *8484# from your mobile phone.
- Press 1 for mobile registration.
- Reply with 1 if you are a citizen of Pakistan and reply with 2 if you are a foreigner.
- Again, reply with 1 if it is your first device. The first device will be registered free of cost.
- Enter your passport number and CNIC.
- Now provide the number of SIM slots your mobile has.
- Enter the IMEI number of your mobile. Provide both IMEI’s in case of a dual SIM phone.
- Reply with 1 to complete the registration request.
If the credentials that you provided are correct, a confirmation message from 8484 will be received. If the credentials are not correct then you will have to repeat these steps with the correct credentials.
Method 2: Via DIRBS
To register your mobile phone via DIRBS, consider the following steps.
- Go to https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk
- Log in to your account. If you do not have one then make an account.
- When you try to make an account, you will see a form. Provide all the credentials required to complete the form.
- Then select purpose (personal/individual for mobile/tablets) and then select user type (local/foreigner)
- Now provide the personal details i.e. email, passport number, phone number, and, residential address to finish the signup.
- You will receive a confirmation link through email. Click on it to confirm your account.
- Now sign in to your account. Now you will see a declaration window and you will also see the ‘individual COC’ option. Click on ‘apply for COC’.
- Provide the IMEI number and your contact number.
- Then you will get a message from PTA whether you have to pay the tax for your phone or not.
- If you want to track the status of your application, click on ‘my application’
Method 3: Via Mobile Application (only android)
- Download the PTA App from the google play store by clicking the link.
- Open the App when installed.
- Enter your IMEI number and follow the instructions.
What is DIRBS?
A mobile registration system, known as ‘Device Identification Registration and Blocking System’ (DIRBS), was introduced in 2018 to ensure that only the legal devices are being used in the country over mobile networks. This is a mobile device eco-system that also helps the users in mobile registration, identification, and, blocking.
How to Check IMEI Number?
You can check the IMEI number of your mobile phone by any of these methods.
- Type *#06# on your mobile phone’s dialer. A pop-up screen will show on which you can find the IMEI number of your phone.
- You can also check it from the ‘About phone’ section from the mobile settings.
- You can find it on your mobile phone’s box.
I have tried to describe all methods to register mobile with PTA. I hope, after reading this article you have learned how to register mobile with PTA. If you still have any queries left, you can also contact PTA Helpline by calling 051-9207059.
Wasn’t it helpful? Comment below